Prinsengracht 281, Amsterdam, 1016 GW
|Save money and beat the queues by booking attractions, tours and things...|
- Recommended for:
- Backpackers / Students, Couples, Culture vultures, First-time travellers, Singles, Great views / scenery
Expert review of Westerkerk
Rembrandt was buried in this handsome, 17th-century Protestant church, but no one knows exactly where his remains ended up. To be honest, the interior is unembellished and on the dull side. The chief reason to come is to climb the 186 steps up the 85-metre high tower, for a superlative 360-degree panoramic view over the canal houses of western Amsterdam.
Free to enter the church. To climb the tower costs 6 euros (children must be aged 6 or over).
More information on Westerkerk:
- Price guide:
- Landmark / monument, Religious site
- Prinsengracht 281, Amsterdam, 1016 GW
- 020 624 7766
- Months open:
- Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct
- Opening times:
- The church is open April-October Mon-Fri 11am-3pm, July and August also Sat 11am-3pm. Services on Sunday begin 10.30am - they last for 90 minutes and are in Dutch only. The tower is open April, May and September Mon-Sat 10am-6pm, and July and August Mon-Sat 10am-8pm, with tours departing every 30 minutes.